SO MANY SIMULARITIES!
Goal: To help children identify
and appreciate the many ways we are similar.
Description: Examine the similarities in people. Take the time to show
how although we all look unique, we have many of the same needs, likes,
dislikes and emotions.
Have the child make a collage using the Reflections images. Ask the
child to point out someone who is different then them. Ask them questions
then that would bring up similarities. Areas to explore can include
does the person in the picture have parents? Do they sleep? Eat? Wear
clothes? Have a family? Go to work? Get sad?
Examples of Discussion:
• “You are right, the girl in the picture does look different
then you. Do you think she goes to school? What do you think she does
at school? People are alike even though they look different and live
in different places.”
• “He likes to play at the park, just like you do”
• “She looks surprised, what do you think made her feel
that way? Is that something that surprises you too?
• “Show me someone that reminds you of yourself, why? Yes,
you both like ice cream”
• Choose pictures of two people who look physically very different
and paste them on a piece of paper. Make a list of the ways they are
different and the ways they are alike.